Navigation

Friday, November 22, 2013

Dmitry Troyanovsky, one of our new professors, was recently interviewed by Marcy Arlin and featured in her Artist, Immigrant series on the blog TCG Circle.

What do you love about theatre in the U.S. for yourself and in general?

At its best, American theatre brings together people who take a lot of pride in their craft. I love the feeling of walking through the backstage areas of a busy theatre buzzing with activity. You know that behind every door and every cubicle there’s someone who’s contributing in a meaningful way to the future production/s. It’s like a very well oiled machine but with a real soul at its core. I don’t like to idealize life in the theatre. It can be harsh and infuriating. But there are moments when American theatreartists really form these ephemeral communities full of generosity and humanity and creative joy.

What do you miss about working in your homeland?

I was a teenager when my family left Russia (still USSR in those days). So I never got to work there before moving to the United States although I directed in Moscow and St. Petersburg later in life. However, I grew up watching a lot of theatre. I was obsessed with theatre ever since my first exposure to puppetry at the age of four. As I got older (Click here to continue reading)